Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Say it with me, "I'm the adult here."

Yes, I am the adult. No, I probably shouldn't be as hyper as the kids with whom I'm working when the ambulance pulls up to the soccer field.
True Story: Last Thursday I was interpreting for a soccer game. Actually, there were two games, JV and varsity, with the JV game being first. So, I was sitting with the varsity team, watching the JV game, when one of the kids on our JV team went after a corner ball. A kid from the other team kicked it and it ricocheted off of our kid's upper leg. Our kid then proceeded to let out a horrendous shout and fell to the ground, screaming. Well, the varsity team and I at first thought that this kid was just making a big production out of getting hit with the soccer ball. I mean, shoot, I've been hit with a soccer ball about fifteen times in the past three years that I've been interpreting for the team (knock on wood, I haven't been hit yet this year). Sure, depending on how hard the ball was kicked, it can sting; but, I've never screamed about it. Mostly, when it happens to me, I just turn around and give the kid who kicked the ball the evil eye. And, I'm a 27 year old female and therefore have a way higher pain-tolerance threshold than some 15 year old boy, but still, we were baffled as to this kid's screaming. Well, this kid remained on the ground, screaming for several seconds, when we figured out that something else must have happened. Apparently this kid landed on his ankle wrong and broke it. THANK GOODNESS I didn't hear the snapping of bone and cartilage. I can take a lot as an interpreter (True Story: I once had a girl throw a mouse on me), but I don't think I would have been able to handle that. Needless to say, the coach called 9-1-1 and an ambulance came. The varsity team, including the deaf student, and therefore me, were totally sucked into the drama of it all. It's times like those that I have to remind myself that I am the adult and therefore cannot let myself get carried away. Just like the other day at the middle school when the electricity went out. On the outside, I'm projecting a cool and in-control persona, but on the inside I'm saying, "Oh my gosh, maybe we'll be sent home early!!"

No comments: