Friday, May 30, 2008

I'm incensed by your "Raggedy Old Flag!"

As I was driving to the bibliotheque today I passed a real estate office that had one of those signs with the interchangeable letters out front. It read, "We're proud of our raggedy old flag." I was briefly taken aback and then I looked to the porch of the office (it was an old house that had been converted into business space) and I saw, indeed, that the realtors had a raggedy, old American flag prominently displayed. I was horrified. Did those people truly believe that they were being patriotic by displaying a frayed and faded American flag in front of their business? I felt like stopping and going into the office and asking them about their sign. Displaying an American flag in that condition is a complete slap in the face to true patriots, not to mention that it makes it seem as though your business is too "raggedy" and cheap to buy a proper flag. Maybe those realtors felt that it was okay to display that flag because of the sentimentality brought on by Memorial Day. As though that particular flag had seen war zones and lived to tell the tale. The only "raggedy old" flags that we should be honoring and feel proud of are those that have survived such circumstances, i.e. the flag on display at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C.

No comments: