Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Alice Cooper: Only partially correct

Yes, school's out for summer...unfortunately, it's not out forever. *Sigh* One could hope.

Let's see, yesterday was my first official day of summer break, and I actually accomplished some things. I stayed in bed until 8:30 (my version of sleeping in). I don't consider myself a morning person, seriously, if you've ever seen me at school, you would know that first period and I are not friends. But, when one is used to the alarm going off at six a.m., sleeping in till 8:30 is wonderful. Even by mid-summer I will probably not sleep in much past 8:30 or 9:00. I like getting up then because it is still (usually) cool outside and fairly quiet. Also, if I sleep in much past 10:00, I feel like too much of the day has gone by.

So, anyway, yesterday, I got up at 8:30 and packed lunch for someone who DID have to go to school. Haha! Then I sat outside on our balcony and read a library book for a while. A little later on, I drove over to the library and returned a book, signed up for the adult summer reading program and won a prize. The library has three reading programs going on (Sis, are you taking notes?); one is to write down every book you've read and enter them into weekly drawings for tickets to various local activities, i.e. tickets to the zoo, botanical gardens, baseball tickets, etc. At the end of the summer there will be a grand prize drawing for a $100 gas giftcard. The library is also hosting a "book adventure" game where patrons ask for clues and fill out a clue sheet. The third way to win a prize is to locate a hidden passport amongst the stacks. I found one, which is how I won a prize yesterday, and turned it in to the info desk. I got to pick a prize from the prize basket and I picked a water bottle (my other choices were pieces of candy and pencils, so I picked the best prize I could).

After I went to the library, I went over to Target and did some shopping, then I went to the grocery store to pick up milk. After that, I went home and sat outside to do some more reading. I played some games on the computer and did a load of laundry. All of this in the same time that I would normally have been at school.

Ahh, I love summer vacation.

6 comments:

The Snicklefritz said...

This year the Week-o-meek-o library is going with the national summer reading program, because that is what the state decided to do. The children's services manager does not like the national program as much--the "game board" is basically just lines for kids to write down what books they've read. In comparison, the state's program last year gave kids various activities to do, such as reading books, but also had them looking things up here at the library, etc. Also, we created our own toddlers' game board, because the national program does not have one. Also, we created our own teen game board/punch card. Again, the national program did not have an adequate activity sheet for teens. We still have Sneaks the cat running around (a state character), but the state went with the national program partially because if people travel they can stop at a library and get their summer reading program stuff taken care of. (Yes, we do get out of towners here, usually to check their email and whatnot.)

For the adults, we have a little quiz for them to complete to be entered into a drawing for a big basket of prizes at the end of the summer, just like last year.

This year's theme: Catch the Reading Bug.

Unknown said...

Ahh, summer vacation...nice. What's the library?

Bill said...

Summer break always kept me sane (or at least closer to sanity) when I was teaching. Enjoy!!

One of the teachers at Twinsburg provided "School's Out", blaring from the PA in his room, on my last day of work. I had done that myself a few times, so I guess I corrupted one of the younger generation.

The Snicklefritz said...

It's the Wicomico County Free Library (that's unfortunately pronounced Why-com-i-co rather than Week-o-meek-o). :o)

Unknown said...

I like week-o-meek-o better.

ASLTerp said...

I like Week-o-meek-o better, too. So that's what I call it whenever I am in the Delmarva area. I can do that because I'm not a local. What's your excuse, Sis?