Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'm not using my classifieds, Congress of 1783, mayhap you would like to peruse them?

The other day I encountered a perfect example that illustrates the gap between the hearing and the deaf students with whom I work. And when I say, "gap," I really mean, the huge, gaping chasm into which all kinds of incidental, academic, semantic, social, mathematical, practical, and artistic (just to name a few) forms of knowledge are poured.

True Story: In eighth grade social studies we were discussing the Articles of Confederation and how they were ineffective as a governing document for the United States. Basically, the newly independent colonists (now Americans), were completely mistrustful of the federal government and wanted to prevent a strong centralized government from having king-like control. So, they wrote the Articles to outline the system of government, but they reserved most of the governing to the states. The federal government was very weak because of this, and could do little to control the states. Congress did not have the power to raise taxes and they had no way of forcing the states to pay the money owed to the federal government from the war. While this discussion was going on in the classroom, I was interpreting for a deaf student. We began to work on a chart explaining what each article was and why it was or was not effective. When we got to the part about the United States being in debt and Congress having no way to collect on their debts, I asked the deaf student why this would be problem. His response? "If Congress needs money, they should get a job." I had one of those moments when I wasn't sure whether or not I should laugh or take the student seriously (frankly, working in a middle school, this happens frequently). "Congress should get a job." Congress. Get a job. This came from an eighth grade student. Thirteen years old and this kid doesn't realize that Congress is not a person, it is an entity. And as such, it can't get a job. Not to mention, he's completely missed the point about Congress's ability (or lack thereof) to raise taxes. Simple, real-world reasoning skills. I still haven't completely wrapped my mind around this one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim...first time reader, first time commenter.

Maybe there is a person out there named "Congress Jones"...or maybe I will name my first baby Congress...probably not.

Kris