Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Pardon Me, If I'm Sentimental

I've heard that people fall into two categories: Beatles fans or Elvis fans. For some reason, most people prefer one to the other. I, for one, cannot decide between the two. If I were asked, my first and immediate response would be to say the Beatles. I have more of their albums, I have a Beatles tee shirt, I have a Beatles calendar, I've seen their movies. Heck, I've even been to their Cirque show in Vegas.

But then I'll hear an Elvis song on the radio and it's all, "Dagnab it, Elvis! I dig your music!!" And then I'll think of all the Elvis songs that I totally love and I decide that it's not possible to like the Beatles more than him. Elvis's songs were all over the place in terms of genre. He was gospel, country, rock, R&B, pop.

But then I'll think about the hilarious movie Help! ("Say no more." "I can say no more.") But then I'll think about "the rain in my shoe," and totally crack up. How can I pick between the two? I think I must be one of the few people that likes them equally as well.

I don't know if my dad reads this blog or not, but he's a huge Elvis fan. I think most of my friends are probably more Beatles fans than Elvis fans. For some reason, I think their music appeals more to the younger generation than does Elvis's. Anyway, no matter who you prefer, for the new poll, you have to pick your favorite Elvis song from the list.

9 comments:

The Snicklefritz said...

I'm right there with you, Sis. I totally dig the Be-atles, but then I hear Elvis and think he's great (sometimes in an-over-the-top, bordering on kitsch way). It's probably in our genes, the love we have for Elvis.

The PIC does not like Elvis, but I predict that if he votes in your poll, he'll pick "In the Ghetto." My pick on the other hand, not so easy. I haven't decided yet.

ASLTerp said...

Well, someone has voted for "In the Ghetto" and someone else has voted for "(Marie's the Name) His Latest Flame." I'm not sure who has voted for what, and if people want to leave a comment saying what they've voted for, that's cool. Sometimes I like to try to guess what people have picked.

I have not yet voted, myself.

Bill said...

I voted for Heartbreak Hotel. I, myself, have experienced many " Dagnab it" moments with Elvis songs over the years. I have to go more with the Lads from Liverpool though because (1) they hit the U.S. in 1964, the year that I graduated from H.S. and (2) I share a birthday with Paul.(not once has he sent a card with money in it, or without money in it)

The Snicklefritz said...

Well, I picked "Suspicious Minds," but that was partly because no one picked that one yet. :o)

ASLTerp said...

Harry Connick, Jr. and Sis and I share a birthday (although not the same year), and we've never received a card from him, either.

I still haven't voted yet, but I may pick "Wooden Heart" because no one else has.

Unknown said...

I voted, but I wasn't happy about it.

I'm waiting for the Beatles poll, but how could you narrow it to a reasonable sized poll? There were too many great tunes there.

ASLTerp said...

I did have a Beatles poll, once. It was my first poll. One had to pick one's favorite Beatle, which for some may be as difficult as picking one's favorite Beatles's tune.

The Snicklefritz said...

I wish the PIC would stop denying his love for Elvis, or at the very least, "In the Ghetto."

And his mama cried.... How does that not bring a tear to your eye when you that?!

*sniff, sniff*

ASLTerp said...

I'm not going to lie to you, faithful readers of the ASLTerp blog, every morning when I'm entering the school building, I hum a little bit of "In the Ghetto" to myself. People don't you understand? A child needs a helping hand, or he'll grow to be an angry young man someday. *sniff* *tear* Well the world turns...