Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Reading Program

Today we started the reading program and it went well. The little boy I'm working with is pretty fun. He's a total chatterbox, so the whole communication thing was nothing to worry about. I only need to try to steer the conversation more towards the book we are reading and less to his own random first-grade stories. Of course, it's good that he's talkative and wants to communicate and participate in the program, but we're also supposed to be doing some reading. And I got some totally awesome books from the libraries. Kids' books are really great. If you haven't picked up a picture book lately, I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

The Snicklefritz said...

What books did you pick up? I really have fun checking out all the picturebooks at the WPL. They're great!

ASLTerp said...

Yikes, I borrowed quite a few books; more than I'll ever get through in the three weeks we are doing the program. But, I wanted to give the little boy plenty to choose from, especially since I was unfamiliar with his personality, likes/dislikes, and reading level.

From one library I borrowed:
"Kitten's First Full Moon" by Keving Henkes
"Good Night, Gorilla" by Peggy Rathmann
"The Stormy Night" by Ruth Brown
"The Little Island" by Margaret Wise Brown and Leonard Weisgard
"Wild Birds" by Joanne Ryder, illustrations by Susan Estelle Kwas
"The Night Worker" by Kate Banks, illustrations by Georg Hallensleben
"Stripe" by Joanne Partis
and "From Head to Toe" by Eric Carle

From the other library I borrowed:
"Cornelius" by Leo Lionni
"Four Friends in Summer" by Tomie dePaola
"Four Friends in Autumn" by Tomie dePaola
"My School's a Zoo" by Stu Smith, illustrations by David Catrow
"The Knight and the Dragon" by Tomie dePaola
"Harry the Dirty Dog" by Gene Zion, illustrations by Margaret Bloy Graham
"Frederick" by Leo Lionni
"That's Good! That's Bad!" by Margery Cuyler, illustrations by David Catrow
and "Little Cloud" by Eric Carle

The Snicklefritz said...

Eric Carle is pretty good stuff. His illustrations are neat. I'm also a fan of Tomie DePaola, and I'm glad to see you picked up some Catrow books. Oooh, that's good.

Speaking of Catrow, I think Ma mentioned he's retiring from the News-Sun.