Monday, September 17, 2007

SimCom Insanity

I can't believe I forgot my True Story of the day.
True Story: I was interpreting in third period "study skills" and the HI teacher was rather ridiculously trying to sign for herself. I say "rather ridiculously" because it is a well-known fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE to sign and speak at the same time. It really is. I liken it to speaking German and writing Spanish at the same time. You can't do it, right? Well, in much the same way, you cannot speak coherent English and sign coherent American Sign Language at the same time. You can't even speak fluid English and sign correct Signed English at the same time. It's impractical, unfeasible, and just not possible. You will either speak proper English and drop signs or you will speak broken English and sign correctly. Either way, you get massive miscues and ungrammatical and nonsensical utterances in both languages.
So, the HI teacher is speaking to the kids in "study skills" while attempting to sign simultaneously. Let's not forget that I am an interpreter in the classroom, who is there to provide interpreting services. So, I can see one of the students turning his head as though he were in attendance at Wimbledon, trying to decided at whom he should be looking. Finally, this student raises his hand and signs, to the teacher, "I don't understand what you are signing." I, of course, being a good interpreter, adhered to the Code of Ethics, and voiced this in the manner in which it was spoken (in this case, signed), which means that I had to supress the exasperation that I was feeling on the inside. Still waiting to see if the teacher will get a clue.

No comments: